If you’re familiar with our work, you’ve likely heard us talk about the importance of building Latinx power sin, contra y desde el estado (meaning within, without and against the state). Learning from and inspired by the Chilean social movement Movimiento de Pobladores en Lucha (MPL), this framework has been instrumental in shaping our organization’s multi-strategy approach to organizing and movement-building aqui en el norte.
Today, we’re sharing our brand new animated video telling the story of the sin/contra/desde strategy at Mijente:
How It Started
Over the last five years we have worked to define what these frames mean to work across these approaches in a United States political context, and experimenting with how they interact with each other to result in concrete change for everyday people.
For El Futuro Y El Buenvivir
Now, in an effort to share this framework with our movement partners, members, and broader audience, we created this animated video to tell the story of what we mean when we say sin, contra, y desde el estado. We hope this framework and strategy will be helpful to others like it has been for us at Mijente. ¡Disfruten!
To The Compas Who Made This Possible
Much love and gratitude to everyone who made this video possible including but not limited to:
- Our compas at MPL for inspiring us with their visionary work
- Visual, Audio and Creative Team: Emily Simons, Mike Cassidy, Estefanía Rivera Cortes
- Voice Actors and Mijente Members: Alejandra Esparza, Adriana Garcia, Jessica Rodriguez, Alejandra Pablos and Alexander Mejia
- Mijente staff for all of the feedback, edits, questions and support
- All of our gente who have rolled with us and done the work to put this frame into practice on the ground